Bin Wu ’15
To begin with my thesis research, I am thinking about some basic concepts for my thesis topic. The starting point is Professionalism. What is Professionalism? Is museum work in a state of complete professionalization? I have got some reference from J. Lynne Teather. She has listed some useful points that sociologist have accepted for assessing professionalism:
- a cultural tradition which is the basis of the knowledge and expertise of the occupation;
- formal, academically based technical training and/or apprenticeship which ensures mastery of the cultural tradition and any skills derived from that;
- institutionalized modes for ensuring competency and governing the practice of the profession, including a code of ethics;
- the development of a professional social structure and culture — the growth of associations pertaining to the occupation with a system of communication and publication;
- exclusive jurisdiction over the applications of occupational knowledge and expertise;
- public validation of the right of the occupation to sole jurisdiction and of values relating to the cultural tradition of the occupation.