Thesis Breakthrough

Alana Seggman

My summer breakthrough occurred several days ago, at the end of summer. For quite some time, organizing my thesis topic seemed daunting.  I always knew what I needed to research, but it never occurred to me that my thesis is a collection of parts organized in a specific way. More than the actual research, the outline gave me more anxiety.  In somewhat of a panic, I met with Joseph Gonzales, director of the program at UArts.
Thinking out loud, I try to identify what qualities will distinguish my thesis from other research.  I acknowledge the similarity of my subject to that of museum management and museum planning but notice that my subject differentiates from other research in that I will utilize case studies as evidence.  Then, the break through happened: I realized that my chapters can be divided into key elements in planning and highlighting case studies in the same chapter to illustrate my claims.
While this breakthrough may seem somewhat trivial, it helped me to begin to organize my research and to create a more specific outline. More specifically, I realized my case studies did not have to be at the end, in the form of an appendix, and that I had more freedom in my subject and organization scheme.